If you live in Utah County then you are no stranger to common pests. They can find their way into your home and can be a huge nuisance and even create health problems. Let’s look at the 5common pests and how to identify them.
Knowing what to look for and how to identify common pests is the first step in getting rid of them.
Mice and rats are the most common rodents in Utah. They can be very destructive and can spread diseases and cause damage to your home.
- Mice are smaller than rats, have pointy noses, and have slender bodies.
- Rats are larger than mice, have blunt noses, and stockier bodies.
Both rats and mice into access your home through openings in walls, ceilings, and floors.
Ants can be very destructive.
- Carpenter Ants are small and black. They typically nest in wood where they can chew through the fibers, creating galleries that weaken structural integrity.
- Fire Ants are small and reddish brown. They live in dirt mounds. When disturbed, they sting and swarm their attacker.
There are many types of spiders in Utah.
- Cellar Spiders, otherwise known as “Daddy Long Legs”, are found in dark, damp places like basements and crawlspaces.
- House Spiders are often found near windows or doorways inside homes. House spiders are brown and some can have brown or white spots on the body.
Bees and Wasps
Bees and wasps can be very dangerous if they sting you, causing painful welts and possibly allergic reactions.
- Bees are typically black and yellow, while wasps can be black, brown, or white.
- Bees can only sting once, while wasps can sting multiple times.
Cockroaches are one of the most common household pests and they can be very difficult to get rid of. Cockroaches are typically found in kitchens and bathrooms. They can contaminate food with their saliva and feces, leading to allergic reactions.
- They can be difficult to spot because they hide in cracks and crevices during the day.
- Roaches are hard to get rid of because they reproduce quickly and can develop a resistance to many pesticides.
Getting rid of Pests
Dealing with the pests mentioned above can be very difficult. It is generally the best idea to call a professional. Attempting pest control on your own can actually make infestations worse and make you very frustrated.
Our team at Buffo’s Termite and Pest Control located in Provo, Utah is here to help if you’re dealing with pests in Utah.
Call us today at 801-373-3940