Lawn fungus refers to various types of fungal infections that can affect the health and appearance of your lawn. This is a large problem with lawns in Utah this time of year. Fungal infections can occur due to factors such as excessive moisture, poor drainage, overwatering, compacted soil, or lack of sunlight. Common types of lawn fungus include brown patch, dollar spot, and powdery mildew.
To address lawn fungus, here are some steps you can take:
1. **Identify the Fungus**: Properly identify the type of fungus affecting your lawn. This can help determine the most effective treatment approach. In most cases it is it is a good idea to consult a reliable lawn care company.
2. **Improve Lawn Care Practices**: Ensure you are following proper lawn care practices, such as mowing at the correct height, not too short and watering deeply but infrequently, and avoiding excessive use of nitrogen-based fertilizers. These practices promote a healthy lawn and can help prevent fungal infections.
3. **Improve Air Circulation**: Promote better air circulation by pruning overhanging branches, thinning out dense vegetation, and avoiding overcrowding of plants. This helps reduce moisture and create an environment less favorable for fungal growth.
4. **Proper Watering**: Water your lawn in the morning to allow sufficient time for the grass to dry before evening. Avoid over-watering, as excessive moisture can contribute to fungal growth. Water deeply but infrequently to encourage deep root growth.
6. **Reseed or Resod**: If the fungal infection has caused significant damage to your lawn, you may need to reseed or re-sod the affected areas to restore a healthy lawn.
It’s important to note that prevention is key when it comes to lawn fungus. Maintaining proper lawn care practices, promoting good drainage, and addressing any underlying issues can help prevent fungal infections from occurring. Regular monitoring and early intervention are also crucial to prevent the spread of fungus and minimize damage to your lawn. If you’re unsure about the best course of action, it is best to consult with a local lawn care professional for help.
Buffo’s Termite and Pest Control in Provo, Utah has been a trusted lawn care company since 1957.
Call us today at 801-373-3940